The 11th Annual International Union and Painters & Allied Trades District Council No. 7 Scholarship Essay Contest was judged by Attorney Nathan D. Eisenberg. Many thanks go out to Attorney Eisenberg for volunteering his time and efforts. The awards were presented at the Wednesday, August 1, 2018 District Council 7 Delegate Meeting.
Applications for the contest were accepted between May 1st and June 30th of this year. Twelve applicants submitted essays on the chosen topic and were a dependent child of an IUPAT DC 7 member in “good standing". All applicants showed proof of acceptance at a certified college, university, vocational, trade school, or other accredited institute of higher learning. This year's recipients received cash prizes ranging from $500.00 - $2,000.00.
The subject of the essay was "Why have workers' wages stagnated, while corporate earnings continue to soar?".
- Nicole Golownia took first prize and earned a $2,000 scholarship to UW-Madison. Read her essay.
- Kelsie Barlow took second prize and earned a $1,000 scholarship to UW-Milwaukee. Read her essay.
- Tyler Acker took third prize and earned a $500 scholarship to UW-Milwaukee. Read his essay.
- Julia Holzschuh took fourth prize and earned a $500 scholarship to UW-Oshkosh. Read her essay.
- Destiny Herndon took fifth prize and earned a $500 scholarship to UW-Whitewater. Read her essay.
- Hannah Klement took sixth prize and earned a $500 scholarship to Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design. Read her essay.