The Painters & Allied Trades District Council 7 has been closely monitoring the news and implications of the continuing spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). As you may have learned, COVID-19 is a respiratory illness that spreads from person to person. The District Council understands that one of its primary responsibilities is to ensure the health and safety of our members, their families as well as its staff and vendors. We continue to monitor daily the progress of COVID-19 and are tracking all new information from federal, state and local health authorities. In our effort to curtail the spread of the virus, please be advised of the following changes which will take effect immediately:
- All apprenticeship classes scheduled from March 16, 2020 until April 6, 2020 will be postponed.
- All journey worker upgrade classes scheduled between March 16th and April 6th are cancelled. We are currently working to reschedule classes that we are on the schedule to a later date. All STAR qualifying classes will still be eligible for the incentive through the end of June 2020.
- All union meetings scheduled between March 16, 2020 and April 6, 2020 are also canceled.
AS events warrant, we will be evaluating meeting and training schedules after April 6th. Please check the DC7 website for updates. We will also be updating DC7 members through the text message system and on our social media pages.
Please be assured that there will be no change in the level of services available to you from the District Council. In most situations, whether it be a question for your Business Representative, or a job-site issue you would like to discuss, the issue can be resolved via email or by a telephone consultation with a DC 7 staff member. We will remain available to you at any time during the work week, and as you know, your Business Representatives are available to you at any time, day or night. We urge you to call or email the office with any questions and we will promptly respond to your request.
We are re-doubling our efforts to maintain the cleanliness and safety of our offices and will continue to do everything in our power to be good partners to all we serve. For more information on COVID-19 please visit the website of the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION or visit www.osha.gov/SLTC/covid-19.
Please also take the following preventative measures that will reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth and face with unwashed hands;
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow/upper arm or into a tissue, throw the used tissue into a lined trash can and immediately wash your hands;
- Wash your hands often with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds;
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are unavailable;
- Frequently clean and disinfect objects and surfaces with a household cleaner;
- Stay home when you are sick or showing any symptoms of fever, cough and/or shortness of breath and seek medical care.
DC 7 will provide further updates as more information emerges. Check our website and social media outlets for timely information. We understand the disruption that the COVID-19 may bring to you and your families but please understand that these actions are taken to keep you and your loved ones healthy and safe.